Translate

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Lazy Indulgent Saturdays

One of the best things about living on my own is Saturday mornings! yes plain old Saturday mornings. For as long as I can remember Saturday mornings were either rudely introduced by crying babies and later arguing children followed by the alarm waking me to take the children to one of their many clubs or classes.

As the children grew to adults and I could no longer encourage them to complete household chores to order, I spent many a Saturday trying to keep the dust at bay, hoovering and other domestic type chores. Later still in my life when the grandchildren arrived Saturday mornings always began with a high pitched wail from my grandson - unhappy at something or another or his mum/dad trying to establish what that was!

Suffice to say that for the last 26 years the largest majority of my Saturday mornings were not peaceful. They did not start with me rolling over in my warm bed to feel the sun peeking through my blinds.

That's how I started this Saturday morning, the sun on my face and silence, beautiful thought allowing silence. I lay there for about 10 minutes and then couldnt resist breaking my own peace by grabbing for my mobile phone to see what time I had slept till. It was 9am, so I slipped out of my bed and slipped on my faithful cosy dressing gown and padded into the kitchen...I walked purposefully to my patio doors knowing exactly what I was going to do. I took both hands held on to the curtains and pulled them aside simultaneously. And there it was ............Sunshine, glorious warm inviting happy sunshine. The two brave daffodils that had chosen to come into bloom during the snow, looked taller, yellower, prouder...happier. I turned back and flicked the kettle on, got out my favourite mug (courtesy of one of my best friends). I unlocked the back door and sat at my faithful garden table. I call it faithful as it is the same table that held host to many a family gathering, was the platform for many a 'bar' during a summer barbecue, its parasol provided shelter on the few occasions when the Sun in England got too hot, and in the winter months it allowed me to place lighted candles upon it to provide comfort and light during evening soirees, bonfire parties and fireworks nights.
Now that same table takes pride of place in my new garden, all present and correct and ready to act as whatever vessel i need it to be. But today, dear table I want you to hold my mobile phone and allow me to rest my coffee cup in between sips of the black nectar. I sat like that for over an hour, decided which of the things I had planned to do, I would 'actually' do. I planned my route, I priortised the order, and then I deleted tasks and found other days in the week when I could do them. And I sat and I basked in the glorious sun; after about an hour I realised I was a bit chilly (even after two top ups of coffee) so I progressed to the settee, and left the patio doors open while I sat and responded to emails sent to my website.
I spent two hours looking for a venue for my next WOW (women only workshop) and then decided that a nice soak in the bath was in order. So I had my long soak, and then a nice bowl of Granola and I dont know how but it was already 3pm. Smiling to myself I decided that I should begin my busy day by going to get my nails done, then my eyes (eyebrow tinting - i recommend it) and then off to the barbers to cut my hair (I have a number one all over).
So donning some pre Spring clothing I set off to the Nail shop, quite uneventful although I did enjoy watching the interaction between a Mother and her grown up daughter. They were obviously on the cusp moving from a Mother/Daughter relationship to a Mother/Daughter friend relationship. The daughter was obviously much more ready for it than the mother, but there was love and respect between them so Im sure they will get there.

The Eyebrow shop was quiet, which was good as it meant I was in and out within fifteen minutes. Regardless I was never going to make it to the barbers. So as I stood trying to work out whether I could fit the barbers in after work on Monday, I remembered that a few weeks ago I had considered changing Barbers as the current one was no longer convenient to get to from my new home.

Do you ever get that feeling that your body takes over and it takes you a few moments to catch up. Well before I realised that my legs had decided to walk off, I was some 3 minutes into my journey.....to where? not sure
and then I saw it, a Shiny New Barbers - all high gloss black floors, white walls and comfy black leather setees, the barbers all in black with the name of their shop starkly splashed across their backs.

Do you know I sat and talked to this young barber for over 20 minutes as he cut and reshaped my hair. We talked and talked about our belief systems, the Pyramids, dreams, dancing and cars!!! and I didnt get his name! but I told him I was very happy with my haircut, he had passed my silent test and as I tipped him £3 I told him I would be back in a few weeks.

Back home I settled down to watch 'The Voice' my new vice. I'm not a big TV fan but certain programmes do entertain me, I'm loving the banter of the judges and all the acts 'can actually sing' unlike some of those other awfully painful talent shows.

I made my self a nice meal and then as all good live alone women do, ate a nice bowl of Icecream (Haagen daz of course).

I'm a life coach and had a final telephone session with one of my clients today, she absolutely is a different person six sessions later. Funny that's exactly how I feel - a completely different person.

Ooh Im looking forward to next Saturday :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment