Translate

Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Sun, The Season

How amazing is the Sun? Not withstanding its obvious powers in assisting the growth of flowers, animals, Us - but it's power to make life seem Great, achievable, happy, purposeful and so on.

 The odd day of Sun is always welcome, it catches most of us unaware and we spend extra time scrabbling through our wardrobe to find an outfit suitable for this welcome but rare sunny interlude. No way will we waste this unexpected Sunny day shrouded in our now uniform like Winter attire.

 But when the Sun becomes a daily occurrence you slowly see the world change. People smile more, wear less, walk slower but more upright. They find time and excuses to be outside, for fear of missing a moment of what seems to be becoming a luxury in England. Sunshine!

 Is it just me or is it commonplace for you too? As the Sun becomes a regular occurrence I start planning evening jaunts again. My day extends from being to and from work and I begin planning. I make plans, I do things, I am energised, I live fuller days. 

 Like yesterday I met up with a dear friend who having returned from a week in Spain has embarked on a new chapter in her life. In the reverse of my situation she has left her nest full and moved in with her significant other. So yesterday we reminisced at how our lives had mirrored each others in many ways during our 16 year friendship. Not always in unison but generally with a month or a year in between; house moves, separations, new jobs .... And as if the universe knows we all need a helping hand, it feels like it intentionally provided these gaps so one of us was always experienced in the matter, and could lead the other when their time came. So yesterday I was the 'experienced' one, I was the one who had trod the path of 'emptynestdom' I had experienced the pain, pride, pleasure that this situation takes you through. My friend expressed her feelings, fears and fantasies while I listened, soothed and laughed appropriately. I've been there so I know that in time, she will be fine, the pride and pleasure will outweigh any pangs of pain. I know this because I have been there. I know this because just like the Sun eventually always comes out and stays out for its season; life has its seasons too. Whatever you are going through whether for you it is good or bad, know that it doesn't last forever. So if its something you are happy with and enjoy, then celebrate it, extend it, make it last. If its a situation that your not happy with, ask yourself how it came to be?, retrace your steps - know them well so you can avoid them in the future. Remember the Sun comes out, in the beginning it's just the odd day, but eventually it stays for the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment